TEXT: Mark 2:1-12; Hebrews 11:6
It happened in real life! Friends of a paralyzed man heard about Christ, believed in His power to heal, and took action to bring the paralytic to Jesus. Undaunted by impenetrable crowds, and with sheer determination sparked by faith, they opened a passageway in the roof and let the man down, bed and all, at the very feet of Jesus. When Jesus saw their faith, He first forgave the man’s sins. Then, to the amazement of the crowd, He told the man to take up his bed and go to his house—and he did!
- The formula for obtaining the desired answer from the Lord involves the sum of two essential elements. Read James 2:14-26 and write what you think the two elements are.
- In the key verse, stated below, underline with a single line those words which deal with faith. Then go back and underline with a double line those which relate to action. “But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.”
- The paralyzed man was unable to come by himself to Christ. Others helped him. What action does this fact suggest to us who believe in Jesus as the Christ?
- In your own words, paraphrase the definition of faith given in Hebrews 11:1.
- If Christ were coming to your city, consider several urgent needs concerning yourself or friends that would prompt you to visit Him. List some of the needs that are important to you now.
- We have established that faith is a vital factor in receiving something from God. How can one’s faith be increased? See Romans 10:17.
- Look up the following Scriptures, and next to each reference write what that Scripture says should be done to receive an answer.
1 John 1:9
1 John 3:20-24
- How much faith does one need to get results from God? See Matthew 17:20.