TEXT: 1 Peter 5:5-6; Luke 14:7-11; Proverbs 29:23
In the series of lessons for this quarter, we are considering the characteristics of true Christians. Undoubtedly the subject of today’s study, humility, is an excellent place to start. We must have a humble attitude to walk with the Lord. See Isaiah 57:15.
- What is your explanation of the principle developed in James 4:10 and Luke 14:11?
- What characteristic, if exhibited, would cause God to resist us? Why? See James 4:6.
- To what people does God give grace? Why is it important to receive this blessing from God?
- Is this statement true or false? “The thoughts in 1 Peter 5:5 are that young people should advise their elders what to do.” Give a reason for your choice.
- According to our text, what else does Peter tell us to do? How can we do this?
- The passage of Scripture in Luke 14:7-11 is called a parable, and was certainly good instruction for those who were present. What do you think it might teach us today?
- The sin of pride is first in the list of sins that God considers abominable (Proverbs 6:16-17). It is believed that Satan was cast out of Heaven because of pride. He wanted to be equal with God (Isaiah 14:12-15). It is no wonder that his children tend to display his nature! Proverbs 29:23 says that a man’s pride shall bring him low. Explain.
- Write a paraphrase of Proverbs 16:18.
- Why is it necessary to have humility in order to gain God’s favor?