TEXT: Matthew 15:21-28
The love of a godly mother for her children is one of the greatest loves a human can experience. A young child looks to his mother for care, comfort, security, and love. As that child grows older, he honors her integrity, example, and resourcefulness. A godly mother is prayerful, self-sacrificing, and dedicated to her family. The Bible speaks of her as a virtuous woman.
- What was the nationality of the woman who came to Jesus (Mark 7:26)? What was His statement (in our text) concerning this?
- What spiritual virtues did the woman exhibit in coming to Jesus for physical healing for her daughter?
- Why do you feel Jesus acted as He did toward the woman? How might you have reacted if Jesus had shown such a seemingly unconcerned attitude toward your need?
- We have many beautiful accounts in the Bible which depict a mother’s love. How do you think these mothers felt in a time of emotional stress?
Moses’ mother, as she put her son into the basket in the river — Exodus 2:3
Hannah, as she left her son with Eli — 1 Samuel 1:24-28
Mary, as she watched Jesus hang on the cross — John 19:25
- Christ is our example. What kind of concern and care did He show toward His mother? See Luke 2:51 and John 19:26-27.
- Tell of some ways our mothers show their love for us without words. How can we reciprocate?
- What is the highest spiritual responsibility a mother and father have toward their children? See Deuteronomy 6:5-7.
- Read 2 Kings 4:1-7. In what manner does this account show us how a mother’s love for her sons brought physical help through spiritual means?