TEXT: Acts 1:8; 2:1-13; 3:1-7
One of Jesus’ last instructions to His disciples was that they tarry in Jerusalem until they were endued with power from on high. As they obeyed His word and tarried in one accord, they all received the experience of the baptism of the Holy Ghost and fire, speaking in other languages as the Spirit gave utterance.
- The disciples were commanded to tarry in Jerusalem until they received the power. Why was it important for the disciples to wait for this power, rather than to start right away to preach the Gospel? How does this principle apply to us?
- Jesus told His disciples He would send the “promise of the Father” upon them. This promise was that they would be baptized with the Holy Ghost (Acts 1:4-5). See also Joel 2:28. What does it mean to be baptized with the Holy Ghost? What is the purpose for which this experience is given? See also John 14:26 and 15:26.
- There is no Scripture or verbal instruction by Christ that the disciples were to seek for a manifestation of tongues when seeking the gift of the Holy Ghost. If not tongues, what were they instructed to seek for? See Luke 24:49 and Acts 1:8.
- What phenomenon in the receiving of the gift of the Holy Ghost convinced the listeners that this was of God?
- The disciples did not know how long they would have to continue in prayer, but they were encouraged that before many more days had passed they would receive the Gift. What spiritual attributes did the disciples display as they waited for the outpouring of the Spirit? See Acts 1:14 and 2:1.
- It is interesting to note that among the first acts recorded after the Day of Pentecost is that of disciples going to a prayer meeting. What significance does this hold for us in our day?
- What was one of the first acts Peter did which gave evidence of the power he received at Pentecost by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit?
- Some may feel that only those who are called to be preachers, evangelists, missionaries, or to do similar services need the baptism of the Holy Ghost. What does Acts 6:1-6 reveal to us?