TEXT: 1 Corinthians 10:23-24,31-33; 1 Timothy 4:13-16; 2 Timothy 3:16-17; 4:1-5; 1 John 2:15-17
The Word of God gives us fundamental truths or doctrines, which help us understand the basic principles of the Bible. It also gives instructions on how we as individuals or as part of the church may please God. The doctrines set forth in the Word are the foundation of the Gospel. The ministry has the authority and responsibility to teach the doctrines, using them as a basis for discipline and establishing guidelines in the church. By adhering to these teachings and guidelines, the individual and church are brought into perfect union with Christ and with each other.
- One definition of the word doctrine is, “a particular principle taught or advocated.” What is our responsibility regarding the doctrines as given in God’s Word? See John 7:17.
- In 2 Timothy 4:1-2, we read about the authority and responsibility of the ministry to preach the doctrines and establish the guidelines for the individual and the church. What do you feel is the meaning and importance of each of the instructions stated?
- Having recognized the authority and responsibility of the ministry, what does Hebrews 13:17 tell us is the responsibility of the believer? What are the consequences if one fails to fulfill these responsibilities?
- It has been said that the doctrines are the “bones” of the Gospel, for they form the framework of our belief. What doctrines are taught by the following Scriptures?
Mark 1:15 and Acts 20:21
John 1:12,13 and Romans 5:1
John 17:15-17 and Hebrews 12:14
Luke 24:49 and Acts 2:4
John 14:3 and 1 Thessalonians 4:16-18
- God has a reason for all things. He inspired the Word from which doctrines originate. What is the end result of obeying the doctrines of God’s Word?
- 1 John 2:15-17 is just one of the Scriptures that can be used in helping to establish guidelines for Christian living. What do you think this Scripture means when it refers to loving the world?
- In considering our Key Verse, what do you think is meant by the phrase, “stand fast, and hold the traditions”?