In the early days, campers were housed in tents located around the campground. Each year, hundreds of canvases were sorted out, the right size was found for each wooden tent frame, and the heavy canvases were tugged into place. It required many willing hands to accomplish this task! Usually the job was done on Memorial Day—the day when the congregation has its annual workday and picnic. Brooms, mops, hammers, saws, shovels, rakes, and paint brushes are still in action on this date each year, when preparations are made prior to the the opening of the summer camp meeting.
During the years of 1955-1959, the campground underwent a change in the type of housing accommodations. After World War II, canvas became scarce and expensive, so the decision was made to replace the tents with cabins. One by one, the old tent frames came down. Carpenters went to work, and more than 600 small cabins were built, making a colorful little cabin city.
Preparing the guest quarters is easier today. When tents were the “summer homes” for the campers, sawdust had to be taken to each tent site for a floor covering. Straw was packed into ticks for mattresses. Bed frames, tables, and chairs were moved into the tents, only to be moved out again at the close of the camp meeting, when everything had to be stored away until the next year. Today, the minimal furnishings in the little cabins are left intact from one year to the next.
Another innovation that has developed in recent years is the provision for RVs, with hookups for water, electricity, and sewer.